MFL MarMac Community School District
Public Hearing and Regular Meeting Minutes
May 11, 2020
The MFL MarMac Board of Education held its Regular Meeting and Public Hearing on the 2019-2020 Budget Amendment in the Middle School Library of the McGregor Schoolhouse on May 11, 2020.
President Roys called the meeting to order at 6:07 pm. Members present on site: Gina Roys and Collin Stubbs. Present via telephone was Josh Grau and present via Zoom were Roberta Hass, Tonya Meyer and Jon Moser. Brian Meyer was absent. Also present were Dr. Dale Crozier, Superintendent; Karla Hanson, Board Secretary; Larry Meyer, High School Principal and Kathy Koether, Elementary Principal. Guests were recognized and welcomed.
Motion by Collin Stubbs, seconded by Josh Grau, to approve the agenda as presented. The motion was carried unanimously.
President Roys opened the public hearing for 2019-2020 Budget Amendment at 6:09 pm. Motion by Josh Grau, seconded by Roberta Hass, to close the meeting at 6:14. Motion carried unanimously.
Motion by Roberta Hass, seconded by Jon Moser, to approve the following consent items from the agenda:
- Approval of April 13, 2020, Board Minutes
- Bills against the district as listed: General Fund: $47,039.29; Enterprise Fund: $3,240.00; Capital Projects: $35,933.93; PPEL: $54,636.25, Little Bulldog Childcare: $2,057.39; Dr. Smith Childcare: $119.78; Clearing Account: $15,323.27; Lunch: $678.58.
- The Secretary’s Report, Activity Report, and Food Service Report will be filed subject to audit.
Motion carried unanimously.
Motion by Roberta Hass, seconded by Tonya Meyer, to approve the following contracts, transfers, resignations and leaves:
- Resignation of Ron Vick, Middle School Track
- Resignation of Stacy Cooper, Guidance
- Resignation of Deb Evanson, Bus Driver
- Educational Improvement Leave, Amy Bunting
- Contract to Kayla Keehner for 7th Grade Volleyball and 7th Grade Girls Basketball Coach
- Contract to Angela Adney for HS Head Volleyball Coach
- Contract to Jerica Meana for Wrestling Cheer Coach
- Contract to Bryar Ruff for 8th Grade Girls Basketball
- Contract to Austin Schoulte for 7th Grade Boys Basketball
- Contract to Scott Torkelson for Bus Driver
- Contract to Riley Bodley for 4th Grade Teacher
- Contract to Sheri Glawe for MS Special Education Teacher
- Contract to Caitlin Giles for 5th Grade Teacher
Motion carried unanimously.
Motion by Collin Stubbs, seconded by Tonya Meyer, to accept the 2019-2020 Budget Amendment as presented. Roll call vote: All Ayes, Brian Meyer Absent. Motion unanimously carried.
Larry Meyer reported on the many activities taking place in the high school. Some of those things include the virtual Awards Ceremony, preparing for virtual Graduation, finalizing IEP’s, SIAC meeting, lockers cleaned, state reporting, prom scheduled for July 24, and teacher checkout.
Kathy Koether reported that the elementary is also busy keeping up with COVID19 information and finalizing the school year. Staff members are taking advantage of professional development. Over 35 staff members participated in Zones training, made possible through a $2,100 grant from HAWC. Parents were notified about picking up student possessions and returning iPads. The parades through the community were a huge success. There continues to be contact between teachers, students and parents using Zoom meetings, phones calls, emails and deliveries of educational materials.
Sara Kelly and Donna Krambeer talked about how the nursing department is keeping abreast of all the information and guidelines for the coming school year. There was concern about being able to acquire all the new supplies, such as masks. More information will be shared when information becomes available and there is a plan in place.
Dr. Dale Crozier reviewed PPEL (Physical Plant and Equipment Levy). The District plans to lease two buses. At the current time, we have no big construction projects, but will continue to improve facilities with LED Lighting, lowering ceilings in the science rooms, upgrading the air conditioning and heating in the high school conference room and adjacent classrooms, new scoreboards will be installed on the baseball and softball fields, and door locks are being upgraded.
Dr. Crozier also discussed the Return to Learn Plan, which will be completed prior to next school year. Dr. Crozier, Board President Roys, and Vice President Meyer, with input from the Board, will lead this project. This includes development of the District Leadership Team that will be specific to this task, and will be completed by July 1, but may be modified at any time thereafter. Three main components of this plan will be: Required Continuous Learning, Hybrid Learning and On-site Delivery. Various elements, which include technology, social/emotion learning, school safety, transportation, school health and a host of other issues will also be addressed. Dr. Crozier talked about the necessity to adapt to change and the District’s commitment to continuing to adjust accordingly to the changing world of education.
The next board meeting will be held in the Monona Schoolhouse Learning Commons on June 8, 2020, at 6:00 p.m.
President Roys adjourned the meeting at 6:53 p.m.
Karla Hanson – Board Secretary/Treasurer