MFL MarMac Community School
Regular Monthly Minutes
February 12, 2018
The MFL MarMac Board of Education held its regular monthly board meeting on February 12, 2018, in the high school media center of the Monona schoolhouse.
President Roys called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. Members present at roll call: Jonathon Moser, Josh Grau, Gina Roys, Collins Stubbs, Tonya Meyer, and Brian Meyer. Absent at roll call was Sharon Greener. Also present were Dale Crozier, Superintendent, Kathy Koether, Elementary Principal, Denise Mueller, Middle School Principal, Larry Meyer, High School Principal, and Cindy Koons, Board Secretary. Visitors were welcomed and recognized.
Addition to the agenda under Business: Cooperative Swimming Agreement with Decorah.
Motion by T. Meyer, seconded by Grau, to approve the agenda as amended. The motion was unanimously carried.
Motion by Stubbs, to approve the following consent items from the agenda:
- Minutes from the January 8, 2018, board meeting.
- Bills against the district as listed: General Fund: $68,116.17; Capital Projects: $11,348.20; PPEL: $25,268.09; Clearing Account: $43,848.00; Food Service: $13,885.31; HAWC: $48,529.45; Little Bulldog Childcare Center: $3,871.46; Dr. Smith Childcare: $1,917.26.
- The Secretary’s Report, Activity Report, and Food Service Report will be filed subject to audit.
Moser seconded the motion and it was unanimously carried.
Amy Bunting, Middle School Instructor, gave a presentation to the Board of Directors, on information and facts from her personal professional development studies regarding Iren Syndrome.
Motion by Grau, seconded by T. Meyer, that the fiscal year 2017, audit has been viewed and approved for filing. The motion was unanimously carried.
Motion by Moser, seconded by Grau to set the Public Budget Hearing and the Public Calendar Hearing for March 12, 2018, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Media center of the Monona building. The motion was unanimously carried.
Motion by Moser, seconded by B. Meyer, to approve the cooperative swimming agreement with Decorah for the 2017-2018 school year. The motion was unanimously carried.
Principal’s reports given.
- Discussion about the 2018-2019 calendar and waiting for what the state rulings will be.
- MFL MarMac and neighboring districts are hoping to collaborate together at the beginning of the school year for professional developments trainings.
- The district received a $10,000.00, grant for our before and after school program.
- Information has been received that the Iowa Legislature has directed the state Area Education Agency Systems to create a plan to reduce the number of AEA’s from 9 to 7 in the next 5 years.
- Discussion regarding the One to One computer leasing.
- Superintendent will be attending ISFLC and High School Athletic Conferences.
- Norplex gave a $1,000.00 donation to our STEM and technology program.
- Profile of Savings from our local AEA was provided showing our savings by purchasing supplies through the cooperative purchasing program provided by Keystone.
- MFL MarMac solvency ratio is better. There was a net loss of 12 students this year. Our unspent balance is the big issue with no new money coming next year.
- Dr. Crozier is working on the budget for next year.
- Plans for the Elementary bathrooms and entrance ways were reviewed.
The next meeting will be held on March 12, 2018, at 7:00 p.m. in the high school media center in Monona building.
The meeting adjourned at 8:22 p.m.